One reader asked about hot appetizer ideas. IT seem that around this time of year, it is a popular pitch-in request! Personally, I love appetizers – they make a great, fun dinner and a festive start to a meal or contribution to a party. However, I don’t usually have a lot of time to spend on them so I have a few quick (but super tasty) recipes that I depend on!
1) BBQ meatballs or mini sausages (or both!) – I usually use pre-made, frozen meatballs…shhh…don’t tell. 🙂 Put them in your crockpot and pour your favorite, nice quality bbq sauce over it and cook on low.
2) Hot Chipped Beef dip – My mom’s recipe and definitely delicious! This is delicious with crackers!
3) Jalapeno Popper Dip – My boss made this last year and I LOVED it! This is my version of it. I serve it with crackers and cubed bread.
4) Baked Brie (pictured above) – You can find large wheels of brie fairly affordably at the large discount warehouses. I slice the top rind off and cover with any manner of things – jams, nuts & honey, or nuts, honey, & fruit. You can bake it until melty or you can even microwave it. Serve with sliced pears, apples, crackers, and bread. This is probably my most requested appetizer at family events. 🙂
5) Orange Cranberry Dip – You might notice a theme of dips but they are just so easy. I have one of the little dipper crockpots which makes keeping these warm and making them very easy.
She didn’t specifically ask for cold appetizers but here are five of my favorites:
1) Antipasti platter – an assortment of olives, marinated vegetables, cheese and cured meats. You can make this as simple or as elaborate as you like! The marinated mozzarella above is easy and delicious!
2) Cheese ball & crackers – There are so many, many variations! You can make a large cheese ball or small individual ones.
3) Cheese tray – Use 3-4 different cheeses and arrange on a platter. Garnish with grapes and assorted fresh fruit. Serve with crackers.
4) Hummus – You can make your own or buy it prepared! You can serve with fresh vegetables, pita, tortilla chips, and/or crackers.
5) Cream Cheese dip – Spread cream cheese on a plate, top with your favorite preserves (cherry is my favorite!). Serve with crackers.
What are your favorite appetizer recipes? Or what are your favorite appetizers to eat?